What is Nutrition & Its Types? Life processes Class 10 Science
In this article, we will explain the topic ‘Nutrients, Nutrition & Its Types’ from the ‘Chapter 1 – Life processes’ out for Class 10 Science.
What are Nutrients?
- Nutrition is the process by which an organism takes food and utilizes it to get energy, for growth, repair, maintenance, etc. and then excreting the waste material from the body.
- The materials which provide nutrition to living organisms are called nutrients. For example proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, etc.
- Nutrition is important to consume the above six nutrients on a daily basis to build and maintain healthy bodily function.
- Poor health may be due to an imbalance of nutrients, either a deficiency or excess, which in turn, affects bodily functions cumulatively.
- To function, the human body must have these nutrients at appropriate levels. Nutrition is the process of intake of the source of energy i.e. Food from outside the body in order to grow, develop and synthesize proteins.
- Nutrition in different organisms is fulfilled in different ways.
- Some organisms use simple food material in the form of carbon dioxide and water and some use complex food materials which are first broken down into simpler ones and is then used by the body.
- Enzymes are the biocatalysts which help in the breaking down of complex substances into simpler ones.
- The method of obtaining food is different in different organisms.
- Mode of nutrition can be classified into autotrophic and heterotrophic nutrition based on the method of obtaining food.
- Autotrophic organisms prepare their own food through the process of photosynthesis. Example- plants
- Heterotrophic organisms depend on autotrophic organisms for food. Example- human beings
A need of nutrition:
- Organisms need the energy to perform various activities. The energy is supplied by the nutrients.
- Organisms require various raw materials for growth and repair. These raw materials are provided by nutrients.
- Nutrients are the materials that provide nutrition to organisms.
- Carbohydrates, proteins, and fats are the main nutrients and are called macronutrients.
- Minerals and vitamins are required in small amounts and hence are called micronutrients.
Learn autotrophic, Heterotrophic, Saprophytic and Holozoic Nutrition with visualization; click CBSE Class 10 Science for demos.
Types of Nutrition:
1. Autotrophic Nutrition:
- Autotrophic nutrition is the mode of nutrition in which an organism prepares its own food.
- Blue-green algae and Green plants follow the autotrophic mode of nutrition.
2. Heterotrophic Nutrition:
- The mode of nutrition in which an organism takes food from another organism is called Heterotrophic mode of nutrition.
- Other than green plants and blue-green algae organisms show the heterotrophic mode of nutrition.
- Heterotrophic nutrition can be further categorized into two types, viz. saprophytic nutrition and holozoic nutrition.
3. Saprophytic Nutrition:
- In the saprophytic mode of nutrition; the organism secretes the digestive juices on the food. The food is digested while it is still to be ingested.
- The assimilated food is then consumed by the organism. All the decomposers follow saprophytic nutrition. Some insects; like houseflies; also follow this mode of nutrition.
4. Holozoic Nutrition:
- In holozoic nutrition; the digestion happens inside the body of the organism, i.e. after the food is ingested. Most of the animals follow this mode of nutrition.
Find notes on more topics of Life Processes of 10 Class Science
- Nutrition in Unicellular Organism – Amoeba, Paramecium
- Life Process
- Nutrition in Animals
- Excretion in Plants
- Transportation in Plants
- Autotrophic Nutrition
Click Online Class 10 Science for NCERT Solutions.
For Live Classes, audio-video content, sample papers, and study material visit our website www.takshilalearninng.com or call us.
Click below or subscribe our social channel