What are the basic steps of Digestion in humans? Class 7 Science
What is digestion
Digestion in humans : Human beings exhibit a holozoic mode of nutrition involving five basic steps i.e., ingestion, digestion, absorption, assimilation, and egestion.
Digestion: The process by which food is broken down into simple absorbable substances is called Digestion. Digestion of food takes place in the digestive system. The digestive system is composed of the alimentary canal and associated glands. Digestion in man is an extracellular process. Humans take food through the mouth, digest the food and finally, the undigested food is removed from the body. The food passes from the oral cavity and finally, the undigested food is defecated through the anus.
It is a complex process involving the following steps:
- Ingestion – Ingestion refers to the intake of food. Ingestion takes place through Mouth
- Digestion – Digestion refers to the breakdown of ingested food into simpler forms. Teeth, Stomach, Small intestine and secretion from various glands help in Digestion
- Absorption – Absorption refers to the process in which digested food is absorbed into the body fluids (Blood & lymph). Small intestine plays a major role in Absorption
- Assimilation – Assimilation refers to the process in which absorbed food is transported to different cells of the body
- Egestion – Egestion refers to the process of removal of undigested food from the body. Large intestine plays a major role in Egestion
Parts of the digestive tract in humans
The digestive tract in humans starts from the mouth and ends at the anus. It is also called as the alimentary canal.
The parts of the digestive tract are:
- Mouth and buccal cavity
- Food pipe/Oesophagus
- Small intestine
- Large intestine
There are some associated glands that secrete enzymes which help in digestion of food. These include:
- Salivary glands
The digestive tract and the associated glands together constitute the digestive system.
Understand the complete process of digestion in Humans with animated learning videos. Get Online Class 7 Science notes of Digestion in humans.
Read more notes of Class 7 Science
Soil, Types of Soil and Factors affecting soil formation
Prepare online classes for primary school with our Live Interactive school online class
Here at Takshila Learning, we provide Online School Classes from Preschool to Class 12 for all subjects. We provide the best online tuition classes for Class 10 and other classes that comprise Animated Video lectures and Live Interactive Classes that will help students to grasp concepts easily. We also provide Worksheets & Assignments, Doubt sessions, Free Encyclopedia, NCERT Solutions for Class 10, and Exam Guru to monitor your progress, i.e., subject-wise and topic-wise. So now Enjoy E-Learning with Takshila Learning.
Learning is fun now!
Enroll today & Get Free Demo Class!
Subscribe to our social channel.
Call @ 8800999280 / 8800999283 / 8800999284 or fill the form for any other details:
Tag: Digestion in humans, Basic steps of Digestion in humans, Five basic steps of Digestion in humans, Parts of the digestive tract; explain the process of digestion in human beings
Hello! THIS REALLY HELP ME