(Usage of Articles) Important English Grammar Tips
Banking Online Classes : The words “A” or “An” and “The” are called Articles & comes just before nouns. There are two types of Articles:
Indefinite Article: If we are talking about any random thing or person, then we use Indefinite Article. “A” or “An” are Indefinite articles. For example, ‘a month’ means a random month. Similarly ‘a chair’ means any random chair and no one can be sure which we are talking about.
Definite Article: If we point out to any particular person or thing, we use Definite Article. “The” is the Definite Article. For example, ‘the week’ means we are talking of any particular week.
Use of the indefinite article – (Usage of Articles)
Incorrect: There are 7 days in the week.
Every week has 7 days and it is not about the particular week.
Correct: There are 7 days in a week.
Indefinite articles can also be used in a sense of each, every or per.
The doctor said, “Take the pill twice a day.”
Use of the definite article – (Usage of Articles)
Incorrect: He has been creating problems since a day he came.
The above statement is related to a particular day, therefore ‘the’ will be used
Correct: He has been creating problems since the day he came.
We make use of article ‘the’ when a singular noun is used to represent a whole class.
Eg: The Leopard is a dangerous animal.
Let us discuss some questions of error detection based on the concept of Articles:
- As soon as the faculty (a)/ entered everyone (b)/ in the class fell (c)/ in a silence.(d)/ No error (e)
- On my request (a)/ Aman introduced me (b)/ to his friend who (c)/ is singer and a dancer. (d)/ No error (e)
- To perform this (a)/ experiment drop (b)/ little acid into a glass of water (c)/ and see the change. (d)/ No error (e)
- Even now when I (a)/ see the spot (b)/ I am reminded of an unique accident (c)/ that took place several years ago. (d)/ No error (e)
- With little (a)/ imagination and enterprise the tournament (b)/ could have been transformed (c)/ into a major attraction. (d)/ No error (e)
- Page after page (a)/ of Gita was read (b)/ and it gave great (c)/ consolation to his mind. (d) No error (e)
- One should (a)/ be true to one’s promises (b)/ in order to earn (c)/ name & fame in the life. (d) No error (e)
- The robbers were (a)/ caught just as they (b)/ were about to escape (c)/ from the jail. (d)/ No error (e)
- The man is mortal (a)/ and ultimately he has to leave (b)/ everything here yet how irrationally (c)/ he remains attached to his worldly possessions. (d)/ No error(e)
- In a mountaineering (a)/ expedition higher you (b)/ go from the base (c)/ camp the colder you feel. (d)/ No error (e)
Find out more question for practice of articles, click English for competitive exams or enroll with Takshilalearning
Answers for Usage of Articles
Omit ‘a’ before “silence” as it is an uncountable noun.
It should be “A singer and scientist”
Put ‘a” before “little”.
Replace “an” with “a”.
Put “a” before “little”
Put “the” before “Gita” as it is the name of a religious text.
Omit “the” before “Life”
Omit “the” before “jail” as it has been used for the primary purpose.
Omit “the” before “man”.
Put “the” before “higher” as it is comparative.
Takshila Learning offers bank exams coaching as per aspirant’s requirement:
- Offline, online and live classes for SBI / IBPS PO, Clerk RRB exams.
- Basic & Advanced packages are available.
- Complete study material (PDF format)
- Online Test Series with performance analysis.
- Faculty Support
- Job Alerts
- Daily Current affairs
Register with Takshila Learning & stay updated..!
For free videos of school, courses subscribe to our social channel.