Lok Sabha : Special Powers of the Lok Sabha Speaker & Deputy Speaker
The Lok Sabha (House of the people) is the Lower House of India’s parliament in which all its members are elected directly by the voters of India except 2 members of Anglo-Indian community directly nominated by the president of India.
Special Powers of the Lok Sabha
- Money & Financial Bills can only originate in the Lok Sabha.
- In case of a Money Bill, the Rajya Sabha only has the right to make recommendation which the Lok Sabha may or may not accept.
- The Council of Ministers is responsible only to the Lok Sabha & hence the Confidence & No-confidence motions can be introduced in this House only.
- Under Art. 352, the Lok Sabha in a special sitting can disapprove the continuance of a national emergency proclaimed by the President, even if the Rajya Sabha rejects such a resolution.
Tenure of the Lok Sabha
The tenure of the Lok Sabha is normally five years. But the House can be dissolved by the President even before the end of the normal tenure. Also, the tenure of the Lok Sabha can be extended by the Parliament beyond the five-year term during the period of national emergency.
Qualifications for the membership of Lok Sabha:
- Be a citizen of India.
- Be not less than 25 years of age.
- Should be a registered voter in any of the constituency in India.
- Should not hold any office of profit
- Should not be insolvent
- Should not be mentally unsound.
Speaker & Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha:
1) Chief presiding officer of the Lok Sabha.
2) The Speaker presides over the meetings of the House & his rulings on the proceedings of the House are final.
3) The Speaker & Deputy Speaker may be removed from their offices by a resolution passed by the House by an effective majority of the House after a prior notice of 14 days to them.
4) The Speaker, to maintain the impartiality of his office, votes only in case of a tie i.e. to remove a deadlock & this is known as the Casting Vote.
Special powers of the Speaker
- Whether a Bill is Money Bill or not is certified only by the Speaker & his decision in this regard is final & binding.
- The Speaker, or in his absence, the Deputy Speaker, presides over the joint-sittings of the parliament.
- The committees of parliament function essentially under the Speaker & their chairpersons are also appointed or nominated by him. Members of the Rajya Sabha are also present in some of these committees.
- If the Speaker is a member of any committee, he is the Ex-officio chairman of such a committee.
The special position of the Speaker
- Though he is an elected member of the Lok Sabha, he continues to hold his office even after the dissolution of the House till a new Lok Sabha is constituted. This is because he not only presides & conducts the parliamentary proceedings but also acts as the Head of the Lok Sabha Secretariat which continues to function even after the House is dissolved.
- The Speaker presides over the joint sitting of the two Houses of the Parliament
- Speaker certifies a Bill as Money Bill & his decision is final in this regard.
- The Speaker is ex-officio President of Indian Parliamentary Group which in India functions as the national group of Inter parliament Union.
Pro tem Speaker
As provided by the Constitution, the Speaker of the last Lok Sabha vacates his office immediately before the first meeting of the newly-elected Lok Sabha. Therefore, the President appoints a member of the Lok Sabha as the Pro tem Speaker.
The President himself administers the oath to the Pro tem Speaker.
The Pro tem Speaker has all the powers of the Speaker. He presides over the first sitting of the newly-elected Lok Sabha. His main duty is to administer the oath to the new members.
Takshila Learning is one of the leading e-learning portals that provide the best online bank coaching classes. We provide basic, advanced and live class packages for IBPS PO, IBPS Clerk, SBI PO, SBI Clerk, RRB, and other exams.
We provide exceptional facilities to our aspirants that distinguish us from the rest of the institutes.
Features of our course:
- Animated + Recorded lectures by well qualified & experienced faculty
- Live crash course
- Impeccable Online Study Material
- Faculty Support
- Regular Topic-wise articles on all the subjects.
- Pioneer in Online Test Series
- Daily Current Affairs
- Job Alerts & updates
Follow us on a Social media