Best Precis Writing Tips and Examples : Precis Writing Tips for IBPS & SBI
A precis isa brief gist or summary of the passage expressed in as few words as possible. Themost important thing that you should keep in mind while writing a precis is to cover all the essential points that are mentioned in the passage so that anyone reading it will be able to understand the idea expressed in the original passage.
In general,the number of words a précis should have is one-third of the original passage given. If the original passage has 500 words, the precis should not be more than 150-200words inlength.
A good Precis:
- It should be marked by clarity, brevity,and precision.
- It not just picking the sentences from the original. It should be written in the own words by the precise writer.
- It should contain all the important key points as mentioned in the original passage.
- It must be written in a logical order and should be well connected.
- It must have coherence and follow the order of ideas of the original.
- Precis that you are writing must have a title.
- It should be written in reported speech.
- It should not contain any details not mentioned in the original passage.
For banking course of SBI, IBPS PO / Clerk Exams, visit www.takshilalearning.com for more details.
Do’s in a precis:
- Always start your précis by highlighting the main idea or key point mentioned in the passage. Once the main idea is conveyed in the précis, you can now write the important points, facts etc. used by the author of the passage.
- Compress and clarify a lengthy passage or article while retaining important concepts, keywords, and important data.
- You should also focus on retaining the key essence of the original passage & remove what is super fluous.
Don’ts in a précis:
- You should not express and include your own personal opinion, suggestion, wish, remark or criticism related to the topic.
- Ignore writing any question in your précis if essential, you can express by a statement.
- Write each and every important key point clearly & avoid making use of abbreviations.
Learn more quizzes here for Competitive exam preparation
Follow us on a Social media