National Anti Terrorism Day – Assassination Of Rajiv Gandhi(the 7th PM of India)
Every year, May 21, Anti-Terrorism Day is celebrated to educate young people about terrorism, human suffering, and its impact on life. It makes people aware of the anti-social activities of terrorism these days. Basically extremists want to instill fear in the minds of ordinary people. They kill thousands of people without regrets because they have no conscience.
It is the death anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, is observed as Anti-Terrorism Day. After the assassination of his mother Indira Gandhi in 1984, Rajiv Gandhi became the youngest Prime Minister of the country. He served as Prime Minister from 1984 to 1989. He was killed in May 1991 in Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu. Anti-Terrorism Day is celebrated to spread the message of peace and humanity and to promote unity among the people.
Anti-Terrorism Day is celebrating the message of peace and humanity. There is a need to spread the message of humanity and peace. Every year, the Indian government takes steps to highlight the importance of fighting terrorism by celebrating anti-terrorism.
Why we celebrate May 21st Anti-Terrorism Day?
After the assassination of seventh Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, the official declaration of the Anti-Terrorism Day was officially announced on May 21, 1991. He was killed in Tamil Nadu by a terrorist and then VP. The Singh government has decided to celebrate May 21 as an anti-terrorism day. Since then it has been celebrated in the country. In addition, anti-terrorism pledges will be accepted at all government offices, public sector undertakings and other public institutions.
Assassination of Rajiv Gandhi, 7th PM of India
After Charan Singh, Rajiv Gandhi became the Prime Minister of India. He is the youngest person to win this position. He went to Sriperumbudur, a place in Tamil Nadu to attend a rally. One woman was a member of the militant group of the Liberation of Tamil Tigers (Eelam). She had explosives under her clothes, she ran to the Prime Minister and bowed, and she wanted to touch his leg. The prime minister was killed in a sudden bomb blast that killed at least 25 people. Inland terrorism has created fear and hurt our country.
The assassination of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi took place on May 21, 1991, in Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu, as a result of a suicide bombing. At least 14 people were killed besides Rajiv Gandhi. It was run by Thenoji Rajaratnam, known as Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) Dhanu, a terrorist organization in Sri Lanka; At that time India ended its participation in the civil war in Sri Lanka through the Indian Peace Keeping Force. The conspiracy charge has been solved by two commission investigations and brought to at least one national government.
Rajiv Gandhi was campaigning for elections in the southern states. After successfully campaigning in Visakhapatnam on May 21st, his next stop was Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu. About two hours after arriving in Madras (now Chennai), Rajiv Gandhi was taken to Sriperumbudur in a white ambassador’s car and stopped at some other polling places. On arriving at an expedition rally in Sriperumbudur, he got out of his car and started walking to Dhaba, where he would give a speech. On the way, he was greeted by several well-wishers, congress activists, and school children. The murderer, Dhanu (then Rajaratnam), approached him and greeted him. Then, at 10:10 pm, he bent down to touch his leg and exploded his belt filled with RDX explosives. Gandhi and 14 others were killed in the blast. 43 people were injured. A local photographer, Haribabu was murdered. Despite the explosion, the camera and film were found on the site.
The Supreme Court acknowledged that the decision to eliminate Gandhi came from an interview in The Sunday Magazine (August 21, 1990). He said he would send the IPKF to disarm the LTTE if it came to power. In the same interview, Gandhi also defended the Indo-Lanka Accord. The Tigers’ decision to kill him was probably to prevent him from coming to power. And then there was Justice Commission was set up to look into the security breaches that led to the killing.
The final report, submitted in June 1992, said that although the former Prime Minister’s security arrangements were adequate, the local Congress party leaders disrupted and sabotaged these arrangements.
Although no action has been taken, the findings have raised important questions that political analysts have consistently raised before. Sources say that Gandhi was repeatedly told that his life was threatened and that he should not go to Tamil Nadu. In fact, the then Governor of Tamil Nadu Bhim Narayan Singh twice violated official protocol and warned Gandhi that his life would be threatened if he visited the state.
Dr. Subramanian Swamy stated in his book Sri Lanka in Crisis: India’s Options (2007) that he met Rajiv Gandhi on March 5, 1991. On March 14, 1991, another delegation met him in New Delhi.
What are the motives behind celebrating Anti-Terrorism Day?
1. The aim is to raise awareness about these extremist groups and their plans to fight terrorism on May 21st.
2. Anti-terrorism is to sow the seeds of unity among the people and promote unity among the people.
3. The aim of Anti-Terrorism Day is to educate, train, and prevent youth from joining various terrorist groups.
4. In addition, the aim of the day is to raise awareness about terrorism, violence in the country, and the harmful effects on people, society, and the country.
5. The aim of the Anti-Terrorism Day is to raise awareness about the dangers of terrorism, violence in all sections of the country, and the overall harm to people, society, and the country as a whole.
6. To spread the message of peace and humanity
7. Raise public awareness about these extremist groups and how they plan to fight terrorism.
8. Seed unity among people and promote unity among people.
9. In addition, providing education and training to the youth will prevent them from joining various terrorist groups.
10. Increase awareness in the country on terrorism, violence, harm to people, threats to society and country.
How to celebrate Anti Terrorism Day?
1. The above-mentioned objectives can be achieved by conducting debates or discussions in schools, colleges and universities about the dangers of terrorism and violence.
2. Conducts mass education programs to highlight the harm and consequences of terrorism.
3. The central government and state governments organize rallies and parades to reassure people about the consequences of terrorism.
4. Honors the deceased Prime Minister with a special march and pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi. In many schools, colleges, government, and private offices, people bow their heads and remain silent for two minutes.
We cannot forget the famous World Trade Center attack which was a terrorist attack. The 26/11 attacks on Mumbai are no exception. Thus, Anti-Terrorism Day expresses anger and solidarity with humanity. Terrorism is the act of causing loss of life and fear of death among people through horrific acts of terrorists. There is no doubt that this is an attack on human rights. Therefore, we should unite and end the spread of love and care.
Many NGOs, cultural organizations, and communities organize their own programs to show the negative effects of violence and terrorism.
Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh has taken an oath to raise awareness among Home Ministry officials regarding Anti-Terrorism Day.
To pay tribute to those who lost their lives in attacks. The device drives awareness campaigns to protect future generations from the radical influence and protect the country from attacks.
Importance of Anti-Terrorism Day
1. The purpose of Anti-Terrorism Day is to spread the message of global peace and non-violence and prevent youth from following cult practices and being misled.
2. Anti-Terrorism Day honors the sacrifices of thousands of soldiers who fought against terrorism. It is a day to pay tribute to those who lost their lives in terrorist attacks.
3. Various awareness programs are planned to protect future generations from radical influence.
Also Read about:
Takshila Learning is offering Online Classes for various Courses such as School from K-12, Professional Courses, i.e., CA/CS/CMA/IFRS, Skill Development courses, i.e., Digital Marketing Course and Competitive Exams, i.e., SSC/Banking/Railways. You can access our online courses from any device, at any time and from anywhere.
Call at 8800999280 / 8800999283 / 8800999284 fill the form for any other details:
Tag – Assassination Of Rajiv Gandhi / Anti Terrorism Day / 21 May