1 Marginal Costing & its features, advantage and disadvantages’ from Cost & Management are discussed below –
Meaning of Marginal Costing
It is a costing technique where only variable cost or direct cost will be charged to the cost unit produced.
Marginal Cost of Production is the change in total cost that comes from making or producing one additional item. The purpose of this is to determine at what point an organization can achieve economies of scale.
Features of Marginal Costing
- All operating costs are differentiated into fixed and variable costs.
- Variable cost is charged to the product and treated as product cost.
- Fixed Cost is treated as period cost and written off to profit & loss account.
- In marginal costing technique, the costs are recorded and profits are reported.
- The unit cost of a product means the average variable cost of manufacturing the product.
For the detailed explanation of Marginal Costing, click on online classes for CS Executive.
Advantages of Marginal Costing
- Elimination of cost variance per unit: Fixed costs are not carried forward to the next year, units have a standard cost. Cost comparisons become meaningful.
- Accurate overhead recovery rate: This method eliminates large balances left in overhead control accounts. The problem of Under absorption and Over absorption does not arise.
- Easy to understand: This costing technique is simple to understand and can be combined with other forms of costing like standard costing, etc.
- Cost Control: Marginal Costing makes it easy to determine and control costs of production. As fixed cost is not included in the cost of production and hence there is no arbitrary apportionment of fixed costs.
Watch and learn with recorded lectures by our best faculty, click here online classes for CS Executive.
Disadvantages of Marginal Costing
- The total costs cannot be easily segregated into fixed costs and variable costs.
- Tax authorities do not accept the valuation of stock since the stock does not show the correct value.
3.The elimination of fixed costs renders cost comparisons of jobs difficult.
- There is no meaning in the exclusion of fixed costs from the valuation of finished goods since the fixed costs are incurred for the purpose of manufacture of products.
Takshila Learning offers online classes for CS preparation. We are a pioneer in CS online coaching classes. we have an exceptional feature of live classes that distinguishes us from the rest of the websites. We have the best of everything assembled together to deliver best results.
- Well qualified & experienced faculty
- High Quality recorded lectures
- Impeccable study material – Industrial, Labour & General Laws, Cost & Management, Company Law notes
- Live Classes for doubt sessions
CS Foundation CS executive online classes , CS Professional online classes video lectures are available..
Follow us on a Social media
0 responses on "Meaning of Marginal Costing : Meaning, Characteristics and Assumptions"