General Awareness The Vice President of India
The Vice President of India occupies the second highest office in the country. He is given a rank next to the President of India. He is also the ex-officio Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
Current Vice President of India
Presently, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu is the Vice President of India. He is the 13th Vice President of the country.
Election of Vice President of India:
- Like the President, the Vice-President of India is also elected indirectly by an electoral college consisting of elected and nominated members of both the Houses of Parliament i.e., Lok Sabha & Rajya Sabha.
- V-P Electoral College does not include members of the state legislative assembly.
- Voting is done for the V-P post on the basis of proportional representation by means of single transferable vote system. The voting is held by secret ballot.
- The V-P cannot be a member of either Houses of Parliament, or of a State Legislature.
Check your preparation with mock test papers; click banking online classes for details.
Who is eligible for the post of the Vice-President of India?
- He/she should be a citizen of India, who age should not be less than 35 years of age.
- He should not hold any office of profit
- He/she should be eligible to be elected as a member of the Rajya Sabha.
Tenure: The Vice-President has a term period of five years& is eligible for re-election. He can even resign from his post before the duration of five years by writing to the President.
Removal of the Vice President:
The Vice-President of India cannot be impeached like the way President can be but he can be removed before five years if a resolution to this effect is passed by a majority of members of Rajya Sabha and by the Lok Sabha.
For online mock test papers, more Banking & General Awareness for Bank PO & Clerk, click Online Banking Preparation
Functions of the Vice-President:
- The Vice-President of India is the ex-officio Chairman of Rajya Sabha and performs normal duties of a presiding officer.
- He performs functions such as maintenance of order in the House, allowing members to speak and raise questions, and putting bills and motions to vote.
- The Vice-President is not a member of the Rajya Sabha, so he cannot vote in the House. But, in case of a tie, He can exercise his castingvote so that a final decision can be made.
- In case of a vacancy in the office of the President of India, either due to death, resignation or impeachment, the Vice-President officiates as the President (for not more than six months).
- During that duration, he enjoys all powers of the President and does not act as the Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
- The V-P can also temporarily discharge the duties of the President in case the President is temporarily unavailable to discharge his/her functions.
Vacancy in Office:
A Vacancy in the office of Vice-President can be there in any of the following ways:
- On the expiry of this tenure (after five years).
- When he resigns.
- When he is removed by the houses of the Parliament.
- Upon his death.
- When he gets disqualified to hold the office or
- When his election process is declared void.
Emoluments and Salary of the Vice President of India:
The Vice-President of India draws a salary for performing his duties as an ex-officio chairman of Rajya Sabha & is given Rs 1.25 lakh per month. He also gets a daily allowance, residence, medical, travel, and other facilities.
But, when he officiates the duties of the President, he gets emoluments and privileges as that of the President of India.
Pension: The Vice-President of India receives 50% of his salary as pension after retiring from his post.
For more articles on General awareness, English, Quantitative aptitude, Reasoning, video lectures, daily updated current affairs, online classes for IBPS/SBI PO & Clerk, register with Takshila Learning.
Takshila Learning is popular among various online banking coaching sites. Our sole objective is to impart quality education to its students. We have prepared an online course which caters to all your needs to crack any bank exam. Our online study material is unique & content is regularly updated keeping in mind the latest pattern of question paper of competitive exams. For details visit www.takshilalearning.com
Follow us on a Social media