CALENDARS General Awareness for bank exams | Calendar Questions and Answers
The year which is not a leap year is called an ordinary year. An ordinary year has 365 days.
A leap year has 366 days.
- Every year divisible by 4 is a leap year, given that it is not a century year.
- Every 4th century is a leap year and no other century is a leap year.
For eg: Each of the years 1944, 2008, 1680 etc. is a leap year.
Each of the years 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 2000 etc. is a leap year.
The concept of Odd Days & how to calculate it:
In an ordinary year, there are 365 days in a year that means 52 x 7 + 1, or 52 weeks and one day. This additional day is called an odd day. The concept of odd days is very important from calendars point of view.
How to Count Number of Odd Days:
- 1 ordinary year = 365 days = (52 weeks + 1 day.)
So, 1 ordinary year has 1 odd day.
- 1 leap year = 366 days = (52 weeks + 2 days)
So, 1 leap year has 2 odd days.
- Number of Odd Days in 100 years = 76 ordinary years + 24 leap years
= (76 x 1 + 24 x 2) odd days = 124 odd days.
= 17 weeks + 5days
So, Number of odd days in 100 years = 5 odd days.
- Number of odd days in 200 years = (5 x 2) = 1 week + 3 days
So, Number of odd days in 200 years = 3 odd days.
- Number of odd days in 300 years = (5 x 3) = 2 week + 1 day
So, Number of odd days in 300 years =1 odd day.
- Number of odd days in 400 years = (5 x 4 + 1) = 3 weeks
So, Number of odd days in 400 years =0 odd day.
Similarly, 800 years, 1200 years, 1600 years, 2000 years etc. has 0 odd days.
Day of the Week related to Number of Odd Days:
Let us look at some examples:
Eg: What day of the week was on January 1, 1996, if January 1, 1995, was a Sunday?
Sol: As 1995 being on the ordinary year, it will have 1 odd day.
So, the first day of 1996 will be one day beyond Sunday.
So, 1st Jan 1996 will be Monday.
Eg: What day of the week was on January 1, 1993, if the day on January 1, 1992, was Wednesday?
Sol: As 1992 being a leap year, so it has 2 odd days
So, the first day of the year 1993 will be two days beyond Wednesday.
So, the day on 1st Jan 1993 was Friday.
Eg: Today is Thursday, after 64 days it will be
Sol: Each day of the week is repeated after 7 days.
So, after 63 days, it will be again Thursday
& after 64 days, it will be Friday.
Eg: How many days are there from 2nd January 2005 to 10th March 2005?
Sol: January → 30 days February → 28 days March → 10 days
So, (30 + 28 + 10) days = 68 days
For more Quant & Reasoning articles, Online Banking Live Classes, job alerts, online test series for IBPS, SBI PO& Clerk, enroll with Takshila Learning.
Be the part of Takshila Learning Today& feel the difference…!
- Digital Video classes by our experienced faculties
- Daily Topic-wise articles on all the subjects
- Doubt Clearing Sessions are regularly conducted
- Quizzes on all subjects
- Online Test Series
- Job Alerts
More important topics :
Quantitative aptitude for competitive exams – MIXTURE AND ALLIGATION Part 2
SERIES AND ANALOGIES Reasoning | Online Banking Coaching